Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Ode to summer from my lens - part 1

I'm usually not a fan of Summer. It's strange season that encourages minimalism, light clothing (when I'm a fan of textured) and licenses people to reveal more than they should. Things i do not necessarily subscribe to as far as fashion is concerned. But this season was different - no, the above was still in place - but there was something simple and beautiful about this season... 

Below are a few snapshots - very random - of how my season panned out. In short - I think this is what the summer of '69 (fast forwarded to 2011/12 ) was all about (forgive the layout and sequence of images, blogger is showing me flames! Changes in the back-end and blah-blah-blah, in short, I can't do much editing or moving of pictures)
Main Street Life Rooftop, every Sunday. Perfect time to prep for Monday: cocktails and drinkies on the roof of some building downtown Joburg
Playing Rebel at an All White Party hosted by Marie Claire for World Water Day: spotting a gifted Silk robe (which I passed off as a Kimono), an Ituen Bassi bag, David Tlale meggings (ahem), Kurt Geiger loafers and this seasons watch brand: ICE!
Partying in a Hotel Apartment with some of my favourite Girls
Mlle Funi in her all her (thrifted) glory at Neighbour Goods market - if you're ever in need of a shopping pal, this is your girl. Check out her blog for more thrifted and frugalisted goodies here
Neighbour Goods Market: cute outfits that do nothing but suggest "Too lazy to over-think fashion?" Love't!
Neighbour Goods Market: It's downtown after all, someone has to wear vintage and the winner is these cropped mommy jeans!
Neighbour Goods Market. How can you not love this adorable shirt? The length and wacky print? Worn by Sandiso Ngubane
Saturday morning hub of social activities: Neighbour Goods Market! Friends sipping on yummy Margaritas (Sandile and Sekello)
Rooftop party in Joburg CBD: straw hats were definitely the de jour for a day in the sun, dancing and "living young, wild and free" (my current song obsession - I get emo listening to it)
Rooftop party in Joburg CBD: Men and women oozing style and sex appeal
Rooftop party in Joburg CBD (post a hailstorm mind you) - here with friends, Khaya Dludla and Siphokazi
Stunning friends in wax fabric sarongs accompanying a dress shirt - how can you not love a season where such is not just acceptable but encouraged?
Champagne, many chats and memories at "Club 33" aka My friend Khaya Dludla's lovely home
Colour Blocking - or is it really? Short-shorts and bursts of colour. did I mention that this was the first season, EVER, that i wore a vest? I hate my upper body (I look like a zebra up there) but I've learnt to deal with it and have moved on. Loved this season for that: I dealt with my body issues - ready for the next load of problems!
Cocktails at the Westcliff Hotel: overlooking JHB Zoo and the DeGorge rimflow pool. Go there next summer, it's a treat!
My Fragrances for the Season: Carolina Herrera 212 VIP (for women, I loved it), 212 VIP Men (Deo spray), 212 VIP Men and Paco Rabanne Black XS - all courtesy of African Sales (Thanks guys! Y'all made sure I smelled good!)
Out door performance in Soweto: Simphiwe Dana with Mthwakazi.
Plum Shoe Launch with lovable people (courtesy of Styling Concepts, @StylingConcepts): Dumi Gwebu, Lerato Sengadi and Solly Moeng
I love Joburg!

No comments: